Monday, February 6, 2017

Snow rabbits

It was a cold and lazy morning of late December, but my friend and I decided to play with this rare occasion of snow. Outside, it was a white expanse like none other we had ever seen, spanning over the horizon. We had so many snowballs we wanted to toss, so many snowmen we wanted to construct. Thus, we quickly sprung into action. 

I begun with a small project as a warmup: a snow rabbit. These are traditional snow constructs in Japan, using leaves as ears and red berries as eyes. I had always found these cute, I thought as a carefully molded it's body and gave it the senses of hearing and sight.

When I was done, I admired my creation and looked for my friend to show it off. He seemingly had had the same idea, as he was walking with another snow rabbit within his puffy coat embrace. It had the cutest and roundest body, some really nice proportioned leaves for its ears and some nicely sized black berries for its eyes. I was really jealous, his looked so much better. Then I thought, wait.... how did he give the rabbit black eyes? No such plants could have survived the harsh winter but for the everlasting holly, which spawned distinctive red berries.

I asked him where he found them, but he just replied "somewhere". Sighing at his answer, we returned home, making plans tasting of hot cocoa and gingerbread genocide next to the fireplace. We left our snow rabbits at the porch, as if they were an old retired couple awaiting their demise, and went inside.

When we got up the next morning, we found the cold white expanse greeting us like an old friend, while our rabbits were waiting for their eventual demise. Our rabbits were staring at their shadows, making the whole scene that much more depressing. It also seemed somewhat bigger, surprising since no snow had been predicted for that night on the TV.

Some days passed by uneventfully, until it was time to open the presents delivered by the jolly old red bulky man we know as Santa. That morning, we sprung from bed like pieces of bread from the toaster and sprinted towards the tree. We quickly started tearing through paper, making our way to the loot. 

While we were ravaging, my parents were looking outside, somewhat concerned. I got up and asked what was wrong, piece of paper wrapping on head and box in hand. They said the snow level had risen over the earlier few days, which was true, it was then eating away at our porch, engulfing it completely in some parts. My snow rabbit had a snow layer to accompany it on the floor, while my friend's rabbit was nowhere to be seen. This seemed odd, but it could have been blown away by the blizzard.

Over the next few hours, the blizzard intensified and quickly raised the snow level like some kind of biblical flood. We stayed inside, like my parents said, and I watched my snow rabbit quickly get a freezing mausoleum get built around it.

It didn't take that long until existing the house wasn't as much of a bad idea as it was an impossibility. Nothing was left to do then, we just watched as the snow slowly expanded the mausoleum to the whole house. The last bit of TV signal we caught promised clear skies all over the country, advising to "take a light coat".

So now, as the snow builds up and we have no ark to save us from it, I put these thoughts in order, really wishing my friend hadn't, in that unfaithful day, found those "unholly" berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment